Thursday, September 2, 2010

Metal artwork from a screen door

During a recent cleaning in one of the barns - I found this screen door with a hidden treasure. 

Just look at that pretty metal scroll work on the door. 



I remember an article many years ago - it may have been out of a Better Homes & Garden magazine -
  they took a piece of metal scroll work, painted it and used it as artwork.

So, I thought I would give it a try. 

The piece of scroll work is held on by rivets which just popped out with a flat head screwdriver.
A quick spray with some black spray paint and it was ready for its reveal.

Now, this metal piece is extremely  light weight - which is a good thing for hanging on the wall......just a little finish nail is all you need. 

So, I wasn't afraid to try it out in different spots. 

This is a picture of how my mantel looks now.....


And I wanted to show you the size of the metal piece, it is really pretty big.

I didn't realize until I took it off the door, that this metal piece is adjustable.

You can have it wide or narrow.

You can also change the pattern of the scroll work depending on how you hang it.

Here is the wide version.


Here is the narrow version with the scroll work to the inside.


Here is another version with it narrow and the scroll work to the outside.



So, an old screen door becomes a versatile piece of metal artwork.

Now I just gotta figure out where I want to put it!

I am linking up with Thrifty Decor Chick: Before and After Party

So glad you stopped by,
Traci

No comments:

Post a Comment